Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

That's most probably the best saying about my mum. Pillar of strength in the family, she is the center of our family universe. She is chef, the maid, the interior designer, the financial planner, and any jobs in the world that she can and she will handle for the family. Born as the youngest among 8 siblings in the family; my mum was not spoiled and pampered as every youngest child was treated. She lost her father at a very, very young age. Her mother opened a kopitiam in a small town in Perak. A typical Teochew girl in the fifties, she grew up as an Independent girl who loves cooking and enjoys adventures with her elder siblings. The strong and sensible characters she developed since she was young became of who she is today; as a women,wife, and a mother of three.

When she came here to Kuala Lu
mpur after married to my father (age 36), she could not speak any of Cantonese dialect. My mum always complained to us that how insensible of my father, because my father laughed at her who tried to Learn the dialect with the neighbour; instead of helping her to improve on it. Now, my mum speaks of 7 dialects + language; Teochew, Hokkien, English, Malay, Mandarin, Hakka, and Cantonese; while my father only knew Malay, Cantonese, Hakka, and Mandarin.

One day my mum told us the stories during her three pregnancies period. After the first child (my elder sister) was born, my mum felt an i
ntense pain on her stomach. The doctor checked; and found out there was a big lump of liquids in the womb; and must be removed quickly. That day itself she was operated. The dOctor said my mum was lucky that the lump expanded during the last few months of pregnancy, and grew bigger after the birth. If the lump grew bigger during the pregnancy, both of my mother's life and my sister would be in great danger. So that is why after my sister was born, her head was partially inflated; like an inflated balloon. She heard (from my auntie) that the lump was as big as the Milo tin. My mum shivered in fear. She did not dare to see it. But the inflated ares turned to normal as she grew up; so it was ok.

My mum told us how cruel our father was during three t
hree of her pregnancy periods. My father worked till 3-4 am per day; leaving my mum alone in the night. She complained that my father wasn't concern about her; and did not buy papaya slices she craVed for a very long time at that time; and it was the only thing my mum requested to my father. During the giving birth period, my father was not next to my mum (for the first child); and came the next day after. We feel pitiful for her; who had to suffer these periods (No; we did not hate our father). She also said that when it came to name our names; my father did not discuss with her, and my father decided without informing her. She wasn't satisfied with my father's idea to name our name with such a lousy ones (until now). When we were still young; we used to hate our names because the naughties one in our class would tease our names. But when we grew up; we know this is an identity for us; and our names were special; especially mine*wink*. So far as we grew up; we found out that 'Hui Ling' and "Hui Jin' names were used; and until now mine still exist as the sole one. =)
Some mothers are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together. ~Pearl S. Buck

My mum is a brave; strong Wonder Woman. S
he is there whenever we encounter 'villains' and our fears in the house. We; were afraid of spiders, insects and unidentified crawling creatures, although they werE much more smaller than us. Whenever we screamed, she will come up instantly; ready with heavy books and old newspaper; to kill the bugs at any chances. We will watched in fear (of course!) and with relief in our hearts. There was one time when we were screaming (yeap! three of us!) over a black spider in our room. We were around 7-10 years old. She rushed up, located the creature, and with the old newspaper and prefect coordination; she swung her right hand and kill it with an instant. We were disgusted with the little squashed one; (never feel pity about it, (i mean, them) anyway) and at the same time we were impressed by her for handling such a disgusting yet bravely act. I remembered a sentence she said that time; "How come you all were scared with such tiny creatures,Yet you all were not scared with someone big like me?" And i remembered my younger sister replied, "Because you were not poisonous!" My mum said, " You think i'm not poisonous?" We all replied, " Nope!" But i think the reason is, " Because you kill the small creatures for us=) "

Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther
A man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done. ~Author Unknown

I (we) will always be grateful to mum; for any and every thing she done for our family. She complained abOut her tedious work every single day; and we understand it. If any of us did any one of task she does every day, we will probably throwing dishes or kicking up a fuss. Although when we went to work and study everyday, we know what she was doing at home; get up at 5am, wash the mugs, boil the water, prepare the breakfast, wakes us up, prepare lunch boxes, send us out, washes the dishes, mops the floor, does the laUndry, goes to market, hangs the linen, water the plants, cooks for lunch, naps for seconds, waits for us home, washes the vegetables, cooks the dinner, does the laundry again, went to sleep. It was a boring yet energy-consuming tasks, but she endured it every day.

Now, at this last paragraph of the post, i would like to say how grateful i am to my mother; who dedicated her life just for her family. I would never could understand how my mother felt when we talked back to her, raised up our voices to her, made her cry etc. We are the traditionally-typical Chinese mother and daughter's relationship: I did not say 'I Love you, Ma' after 18 years. I did not hug her when i was really, really sad or really, really happy. I did not express my love and gratitude through my mother-daughter conversation. But her mutual love and my love for her are beyond those words
. " I Love You, Mum " and " Thank You, Mum for all these things you've done for us " were too common; too powerless to describe the feelings we had for each other. Somehow, deep inside the bottom of our hearts, we both know it all these long.

Happy Mother's Day!


The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

No one in the world can take the place of your mother. Right or wrong, from her viewpoint you are always right. She may scold you for little things, but never for the big ones. ~Harry Truman

A little girl, asked where her home was, replied, "where mother is." ~Keith L. Brooks

My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon

My mother is a poem
I'll never be able to write,
though everything I write
is a poem to my
mother.
~Sharon Doubiago

Quotes are cited from:www.quotegarden.com/mothers.html
WAtashi No Haha Desu =)

No comments: